Thread: Ccd 101
View Single Post
Old 13-05-2015, 08:08 AM
gregbradley

I think that is a good move. CCD imaging is somewhat complex and expensive but ultimately rewarding. DSLR imaging is more bank for both your imaging buck and imaging time and patience!

I did DSLR for about a year or more before I went to CCD.

The best image you can make is not always about the gear but how familiar and how well you know your setup. If that is a DSLR then you will make better images from that rather than spending a bomb and struggling with it. If you survive the learning curve which can be offputting then ultimately you will have better images but some DSLR images rival the best CCD images.

Just do DSLR really really well.

The best DSLR images seem to come from modded Canon (I notice those lovely Pentax K5 images recently posted as well).

The old Canon full frame 5D would be a good one. I could be wrong but I suspect the earlier Canon models may be better than the later ones as pixels get smaller and noise intrudes more. I noticed in particular the 60D seemed to be a drop in quality of astro images. Perhaps the megapixel race and the monkeying around with "RAW" is getting too much in the road. Of course I could be wrong on this.

A modded 5D2 seems to be about as good as it gets in DSLR world.

Not sure about Nikon, Sony or Fuji. APS is somewhat demanding of the optics and flatteners start to become mandatory and full frame for sure. Full frame may mean a larger focuser and larger openings in the imaging train (ie flatteners and adapters and focuser size).

The full frame CCD SBIG STL for example really requires a 3- 3.5 inch focuser or larger.
I found that out trying everything to make it work on a Tak 2.7 inch focuser on an FS152. No way.

Greg.