View Single Post
Old 15-01-2019, 08:24 PM
mynameiscd (Andy)

Polar alignment breakthrough

Hi all,
I finally got it!!!!!!!!!
For years ive been aligning my scope to the SCP normally with my spotter, then guide, and finally with my main scope. Ive always been that close I've never really worried about software etc.
I've been trying drift aligning but its always not the same as my visual alignment and then I just adjust back to visual and wonder what i did wrong.
Im pretty lucky here as there are no towns nearby so i can normally see the part of the" Chinese hat " by eye so I know the stars aroud the SCP pretty well by now.
I took an image (I put a red dot on the SCP) the other night after a visual alignment and i was a fraction out but a drift alignment i was a fair bit out.
And thats when the penny dropped! !!
My scope is not aligned with my my mount!!!
I have never checked if its spot on with the mount and taking it off all the time of course there will be variation but its the mount is what needs to be spot on and not the scope and thats why the drift alignment is always right.
After the drift (DARV) and a 3 star alignment the goto was spot on and I took a 4 minute unguided image and there was only a tiny bit of trailing.
So next thing is to adjust my scope to be square with my mount.
I cant believe I've been doing this for so long.
Cheers
Andy
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (SCP1.jpg)
154.8 KB96 views