View Single Post
Old 16-10-2018, 02:31 PM
Outcast (Carlton)
Always gonna be a NOOB...

A Question About Meade 30mm UWA - Saxon 30mm SWA

After having a Meade Series 5000 6.7mm UWA in my collection for some time now & liking it very much, when it finally came to deciding to upgrade my wideview eyepiece selection, I decided I would hunt down more of these.

I am aware they are not produced anymore but, was able to track down a new 20mm 2", s/h 14mm 1.25" & a new 8.8mm 1.25".

I would like to try & find a 30mm 2" version but, they haven't been producing them for quite a long time now so, finding them new is practically impossible & finding one secondhand hasn't seemed any easier.

What I have found is a Saxon 30mm SWA 82 degree eyepiece that at least cosmetically seems well, pretty much identical (Pictures below of the two versions - you will at least see the cosmetic resemblance).

Saxon describes it's eyepiece as: 'Fully-multicoated, 8 element design with blackened lens edges, Saxon 30mm 2" (82 degree) SWA Eyepiece offers improved clarity, contrast and resolution'

I haven't really been able to find the Meade description of it's 30mm 2" eyepiece so, it's hard to compare if they are in fact one & the same.

Does anyone know?
Has anyone used the Saxon 30mm 2" SWA?

Any assistance or advice on this question will be gratefully accepted... of course, if someone has a second hand Meade Series 5000 UWA they'd like to part with, then please let me know.

Thankyou in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Meade 30mm.jpg)
4.5 KB12 views
Click for full-size image (Saxon.jpg)
3.9 KB12 views

Last edited by Outcast; 17-10-2018 at 01:40 AM.