View Single Post
Old 23-02-2018, 01:52 PM
derku

@Dean; thank you for the encouragement... I need to put more hours into actually using it rather than just working on it!

@Brian @Alex; now you have sent me onto another quest on developing a dew shield...! Actually I'm still reading up on how effective they actually are, if at all and if its necessary around east coast urban environments... but I do appreciate the idea that a tube extension can block out more foreign light such as street lights.

I found a nice website "darksitefinder.com" to indicate optimum areas of (minimum) light pollution. I havnt updated my profile yet but I basically reside in the red to orange band I've never pointed telescope in any darker area actually and I guess asking for any 'dark' sites within the city is another thread topic all together.
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/a...1&d=1519353008

Minor update is that Ive washed the mirrors using regular hand wash that foams up along with demineralised water from good old bunnings. The demineralised water was suggested as is doesnt streak when drying but Im not sure about that. Despite warnings about not touching any of the mirror reflective surfaces, I found I had no choice but to rub it slightly with my fingers (whilst washing with soap) to get some of the stubborn dust/contaminants off the primary mirror. It also took a few goes because the stupid thumb(s) kept slipping back of the surface (no thumbs down emoji which would be more suiting).
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/a...1&d=1519353375

Pretty much ready for reassembly as the flock has dried. A few passes of compressed air loosens the un-bonded flock filaments and a gentle wipe with a damp micro fibre cloth takes care of any other loosely held flock.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (map_darksitefinder.jpg)
177.0 KB32 views
Click for full-size image (28340323_10215805574513257_81854384_o.jpg)
206.3 KB37 views