View Single Post
Old 21-12-2017, 03:17 PM
ChrisV (Chris)

Calibrating with darks in pixinsight - ASI071 camera

I just got my ASI071 upgraded to the pro. When I calibrate the flats with the bias/darks in pixinsight I get this error.

** Warning: No correlation between the master dark and target frames (channel 0).

I thought I'd done something wrong with the camera temperature so redid all the calibration files - 100x bias frames (0.05sec), 40x dark frames (90sec), and 40x flat frames (0.15sec - optimal exposure set by APT). I've made these at -5C as this is where 071Pro reaches near minimal dark current of 0.008 e-/pix/sec (https://astronomy-imaging-camera.com.../asi071mc-pro/).

The error only happens when I use the darks, it doesn't happen if I use just the bias frames. I went back and used the calibration files from the camera before I upgraded it and get no such error.

I've looked up the PI forum and maybe the problem is that with the short flat exposures I don't need dark frames to calibrate the flat frames ?

Inspecting my calibration files in PI, the master calibration files: the mean(average deviation) are
- Master Bias = 268.5 (3.5)
- Master Dark = 270.1 (4.0) in ADUs (16 bit)
So does this suggest that darks aren't even necessary for these exposures on my camera?