View Single Post
Old 10-05-2009, 03:10 PM
Tilt (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by astro_south View Post
Michael, I have taken plenty of long exposures with the 50D and not seem any hint of banding. I think RB's suggestion of saving to the compact flash would be the best.
Yep, I will give that a go and see what I get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astro_south View Post
If you are getting noisy terrestrial images (with iso 1600 or above) perhaps try over exposing a 1/3 to 2/3 of a stop. A lot of "noisy" images just aren't correctly exposed - tending to be underexposed.
Thanks, I'll keep that one in mind for next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane View Post
Also, for astrophotography, try using a AC-DC power source, rather than the battery. See if that makes a difference.

For all my astrophotography, ever since I began, I used a power source, instead of battery, and have never noticed a single band. If they did occur, it was my own fault for not taking correct flat lights.
That is the difference between my 350D and 50D, I'm using an AC power source for the 350D and a battery for the 50D. Could it be possible that using a battery can mess around with a long exposure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB View Post
BTW Michael, does the band show up in darks
Andrew, I've just taken a dark, around 20 degrees C, 300 sec, ISO800. I pushed the levels way up high so you can see what is going on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Dark_300SecISO800_0000002.jpg)
192.8 KB71 views