View Single Post
Old 29-03-2008, 09:24 PM
rogerg (Roger)

Question Advice requested: Macro lenses/bellows/other

I know there's a few keen macro users out there on IIS so hope I might get some bites on this question...

I'm after some advice on options for macro photography. I'm considering buying something along this line for my partner for her coming birthday.

We've both used extention tubes for quite some time (7 odd years), I on my 70-200 F/4L and her on her 28-105. Both Canon. She did have a macro lens years ago for her Pentax but it got stolen along with the camera. I'm after a way to increase the quality of our shots, be able to get to that 1-1 size and be at greater distance from the objects. More depth of field would also be nice but perhaps not achievable.

I have know for some time that the following exist but don't know what option is best:
- Bellows
- Dedicatd macro lens

The EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM seems like a popular option. But I'm not dead-set on Canon, would consider Sigma. The Sigma APO Macro 150mm f/28 DG HSM looks about the same price but 150mm - looks like a good buy.

But then I hear about bellows too, and have been told nothing beats a bellows for increased distance from subject and depth of field. But I've never seen one in person let alone tried one. Also it seems you need to buy bellows second hand, or from 3rd party manufacturers, a bit more tricky it seems.

Or are the extention tubes providing equal quality anyhow, and perhaps I should be looking along the lines of macro flashes to increase the f-stop and hence DOF and quality?

For that matter, will we see a noticable jump in quality and ease of taking macro images using a dedicated lens or bellows?

Can anyone provide some comments on experiences with various options?

Thanks,
Roger.