View Single Post
Old 21-08-2019, 09:26 PM
Aussie_Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
If you have stellarium you can very accurately plan where Saturn will transit the limb and look for the features on the moon surface. That's what I did and it was spot on. Don't forget to set the moon scale to 1 in Stellarium. Also selecting Saturn and pressing the space bar will center it on your screen with a reticule so you know where it is behind the moon. I used that with the current time to know when to go back out and start videoing again.

Don't bother doing two videos. It is likely you'll have plenty of moon shots from various videos during the event to get a sharp moon composite. You'll also have many videos of saturn on its own to get a sharp planet. You can crop around saturn to register only the planet when it's far enough from the moon.

In short just keep shooting short videos of 1000 or 500 frames and keep recording, tweaking the levels. Then you'll have plenty of data to get the bits you need to make your final composites.

Not sure about Neximage. I haven't used it in years. Sharpcap is pretty cheap to buy and it does a great job. Better play it safe. Rehearse well ahead. Maybe train on star occultations with the moon.

Thanks for the info Marc, Champion!