View Single Post
Old 16-10-2015, 09:30 PM
Rod771 (Rod)
Turn the lights off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazjen View Post
Thanks for the reply, Rod.

If seeing is the issue (it has to be part of the problem), wouldn't that also affect the Dec graph too? As in I should see the Dec vary as much too and therefore be able to use this as a test?

And I'll try the changes you suggest. Any idea what a good min move value would be?
Yeah , good point. One thing you can do if your using the latest version of PHD2 (2.5.0) is, after calibration run the guiding assistant which is on the Tools tab. What it does is disables guiding in both axis and measures the data then makes suggestions base on how the star is moving when unguided. This will give you an idea of how good or bad the seeing actually is. It also shows how close your PA is and, what I have found just tonight is, it helps you set your balance in RA. My RA graph had never been as good as my Dec, similar to you screen shot. After watching the RA graph rise and keep rising while the guiding assistant was enabled, I figured my balance was too far off. I just stopped the guide assistant, adjusted the counter weight, restarted the assistant and the RA graph leveled.

So along with seeing, balance could be affecting your RA guiding as it was mine.

Hope this helps. I know how it feels, stick with it.