View Single Post
Old 21-06-2019, 04:23 PM
Wavytone

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeWynter View Post
Jeremy & Nick,

What are you using on the bottom/top of the case? It's easy to shape length and width of corflute cells, but the depth... Otherwise eyepieces will be laying very loosely there.
Agreed the cases as-is are too deep.

I made a false bottom using some wooden strips and 3mm MDF, with a layer of 3mm EVA foam rubber over that - all scraps from other jobs. The false bottom simply sits there rather than being screwed or glued in, so that occasionally I can lift it out and empty any dust that has accumulated under.

The inside of the lid of mine are filled with “egg crate” foam which holds everything in place when it’s shut.

One case is quite shallow and has 1.25” vixen eyepieces lying on their side, as the 1.25” ones are vixen SSW and SLV which are all about the same size, which made it easy to make one case to hold them all plus diagonal and a couple of adapter rings.

I have a second case for larger things - finder scopes and my sole 2” low power eyepiece, this one I made a bit deeper.

You could alternatively stand eyepieces on their ends in the case - it would hold more - but it makes it hard to tell which is which.