View Single Post
Old 12-06-2019, 07:05 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Hi Michael
Welcome and thanks for joining our community.
The main issue is budget but what I suggest is a reasonable entry level.
HEQ 5 and no smaller. If no grid power a small deep cycle battery will be needed down the road but for starters a cheap car battry...battery packs are an expensive way to go..
For startèrs you can skip a guiding set up and run unguided using short exposures...I still do this even though I have the guide camera and scope ... short exposures manage clouds and poor seeing better in my view.
Without guidinf you will learn to get the best from your mount via adjustment and want to get your polar alignment spot on...not bad to have under your belt before you start guiding.
As to a scope..I have an 80mm refractor and a f5 eight inch newtonian...the eight is a great way to go as its under a grand with a coma corrector...and you will get great results with a dslr...I didnt think much of the 80 mm until I went to narrow band ...I have yet to do substantial narrow band with the eight.
So get the mount. You will need a scope and a t ring to attach the camera....and a method to do good polar alignment although with short exposures you can get away with less than perfect...learning to drift align is good to have as experience...I use a polemaster which is an expensive way given some programs like sharp cap have polar alignment features...I have found there is not much you cant do with a grab of 30 seconds.
You just take about an hours worth and you are there☺....and at 30 seconds you dont need an intervalometer...
Does that help?
Alex