View Single Post
Old 18-01-2019, 08:48 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38degsouth View Post
Simply growing up under dark skies in northern Victoria (Numurkah). Very fond memories of laying on the front lawn in summer watching Orion slowly appear, then counting satellites. Very late school nights being allowed to watching Cosmos.. Dean

I was sort of similar and gre up not too far from Numurkah. Watching Cosmos as a pre teen probably gave me the first spark but having dark, dark skies at Strathallan and being allowed to take home the telescope that belonged to my school (Echuca Tech and as far as I know the only kid who ever took it home) gave it a kick along.

Badly set up and randomly pointing, I "Discovered" Saturn with that 4.5" Meade and that as they say was that. The time I have been able to observe has ebbed and flowed over the years, but the interest has always remained. I am now getting in to imaging but there is still nothing like a great view of M42, and every time Saturn is in view I have to see it all over again.

Seeing the Cassini division for the first time only a couple of years ago was nearly as much of a buzz as seeing Saturn for the first time.