View Single Post
Old 02-06-2013, 02:16 AM
g__day (Matthew)
Tech Guru

Thanks Ivo,

I tried that - I know a bit about EOS utilies; my elder brother works just down the road from where I live at Canon's research labs for the last twenty years and we tend to discuss cameras and software a bit!

When you say only one program can make a connection at the same time - you mean per Canon camera don't you - as I have two running simultaneously on different telescopes. I don't suppose the two cameras are loading one Windows driver and confusing the system stack, don't expect this as they are connected via individual USB ports!

I didn't realise the Digic II version of APT could control both cameras, thanks for that. I thought I would have to start one Digic II version and a separate Digic 3 version.

Any idea why neither version of APT couldn't see the Digic III 40D when BYE was closed and the 40D was the only camera powered? It had no problem seeing the 400D when it was on, but the 40D appeared invisible to it. Mind you after shutting down BYE I didn't try power cycling the 40D and then reclosing EOS utilities; just in case any connections weren't cleaned up and the 40D looked unavailable.

I tried APT, Camera 1 and Camera 2 for both the Digic II and Digic III versions of the software (all six combinations) as I installed both versions of software and simply created separate folders for the launch menu items. None of these options connected to the 40D (yet).

Must say I like several elements of your software on first walkthough - the plans groups of shots is a great idea and I love the suggestions of viewing targets. I am also keen to see how the sync function works (into The Sky 6, using "A Sky controlled telescope" hub driver connection). I've had no luck sync-ing Asro Tortilla to the Sky6 and wish to see if your software might... The ASCOM Vixen Skysensor2000 driver developers suggest it should work on a direct connect to the latest driver and that it may be The Sky6 disabling sync...

Keen to try the Liveview functionality of the 40D on APT; when I figure how to get it to finally connect I'll share the details!

Many thanks,

Matthew