View Single Post
Old 03-05-2008, 02:20 AM
Jeff
Starry Eyed

Hi Tim,

I'm relatively new to amateur astronomy myself (6 months), and one of the first things I did was to join an astro club (ASV - Astronomical Society of Victoria) for a quick learning curve, sampling of various telescopes, and access to a club "dark sky site" away from the city glare.

A common guideline given to by the ASV budget conscious New Astronomers re. eyepieces is to buy one-level-up from the basic plossl eyepieces when starting out (eg. 68deg rather than kust 52deg plossls).
After that ... if the hobby sticks and becomes a long term interest ... then consider inversting in 3 or 4 high quality eyepieces for the long term (end retain as you progress through telescopes).

One of the most popular places for IIC members to buy value eyepieces from is Andrews Communications. The cheapest I would recommend buying are the GSO (Guan Sheng) SuperView eyepices which have a 68deg apparant field of view (AFOV).
http://www.andrewscom.com.au/site-section-10.htm

With your SWED80 OTA (600mm f/7.5 I imagine) I would suggest:

1. Add a wider angle EP for nebulas & open clusters
(suggest GSO SuperVIrew 2" 30mm, $59 from Andrews)

2. Add a higher power plossl for planetary viewing & splitting binary stars
(suggest GSO 1.25" 6mm plossl, $29 from Andrews)

3. Add a barlow as per advice from dannat ... for higher powered planetary/binary viewing now, and down the track maybe to double usage of 1 or 2 expensive eyepieces, or for playing with astrophotography
(suggest GSO ED-glass 2" 2x, $79 from Andrews)

If your scope is f/7.5 focal ration as I expect, then coma abberrations should not be too bad with the GSO SuperView eyepieces in your scope.

Cheers,
Jeff