View Single Post
Old 28-04-2008, 01:36 AM
Timw

new member - new SWED80 scope

Hello all. I'm new to this forum - found it while trawling around the internet for info.
For the last couple of years I have been using what looks to be a Tasco 60mm (approx) x900mm cheapie that I literally found on the side of the road in pieces. Put it back together and managed to see Jupiter Saturn etc in reasonable detail. focuser and diagonal are held on with duct tape but the dammed thing works and gives reasonable images. The whole thing sits (or sat) on an old wooden altaz tripod.
Anyway, decided to get something a bit better. Criteria were price (around 600 max), low maintenance and weight, very transportable. Agonised over the 10" dob BUT fact is that transportability in a vehicle with wife and two kids and camping gear was a primary deal breaking issue so went the small reasonable quality refractor - a SWED80 (OTA - not the kit)to be precise. Added to this a GSO dielectric diagonal and 9.5mm and 21mm ED eyepieces. Already had a red dot finder (basic model).
Bodgied up the wooden alt az mount from the tasco and managed to put the ed80 on it.
So, I have decided that a few things astill necessary for basic viewing:-
1) at least 1 and possibly 2 shorter FL ep's (eg 5/6 and 8)
2) an upgraded focuser (again GSO 10:1 crayford).
3) a mount capable of holding the lot adequately without too much vibration.
4) good wide angle ep

as far as the ep's go, what are the best value for money ep's in the 5/6 to 8 fl range? Am I better off getting reasonable quality barlows?
A neighbour has some wonderful (read "expensive") astro equipment (nagler eps, TV diagonals and ep's etc) and I had an chance to stick these on the ed80 the other evening. Really like the wide angle nagler and also the big 2" eps are great - so much easier to look through.
I guess I have similar questions regarding the wide angle lense.
Quality is great but if I only have 100 to 150 to spend on an ep then the TV, Naglers etc are out.

Regards

Tim