View Single Post
Old 27-01-2015, 11:33 AM
glend (Glen)

I have the walls completed and mounted to the deck, the roof is completed in the big shed.
The observatory is being built as group of six pre-fab panels (four walls, deck/floor, and roof), and it can be broken down again to move to another site (if ever required). The only tools required to disassemble it will be my trusty impact driver, an angle grinder to cut the wall tie down straps, and a chain saw to cut through the footing posts; then the panels can be stacked on large box trailer and taken away - the pier is another matter of course..
I did a test mount of the ROR to check clearances and movement and then removed it to put the roof panels on. I decided to use Suntuff Polycarbonate roof panels because they are light and will no doubt last longer than I probably will. I can lift the roof section on one end and get it onto the end of the track and then push it on from there.

I will get some update photos on when the rain stops. Right now its covered up with a big tarp until this rain event goes away.

The exterior wall skin has been a hard decision but I refuse to pay the prices that are being asked for weatherboard and manufacturered panels ( and they are heavy). I will probably go with marine ply and seal it with epoxy resin (as I know this technique well from my boatbuilding days). This will keep the wall panels light enough to be handled if a move is required.

Photos to come.