View Single Post
Old 03-11-2008, 06:10 PM
h0ughy (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
Hi Dave

So sorry to hear about the accident – it must have been quite a shock at the time. No doubt you must have looked on with disbelief, much as I did when a German tourist ran into our car at the Green Mountains camp site in Lamington National Park.

Our Subaru was parked in the designated parking bay, the only car there, when a German tourist and his mates drove in on the peripheral ring road. It seems that at the last minute, he decided to pull into the parking bay park next to us, hit his brakes, skidded 5 metres on the gravel then hit the front passenger side of our Subaru.

I was sitting quietly at our tent (on the drivers side) when I heard the scrunching of gravel followed by a dull thud as he hit. I initially though “I must be dreaming, that did not just happen”.
  • The empty space around our car was almost the size of an Olympic swimming pool.
  • Our car was backed right into the designated parking bay, the only vehicle there.
  • There were no other vehicles in the vicinity.
  • There were no obstructions; the camp site is a huge, open space.
  • The skies were blue; the sun was shining.
  • He couldn’t have done a better job even if there had been a homing beacon on our vehicle and he was being automatically guided towards it.
  • The grazing pademelons shook their heads in disbelief.
There were 3 young tourists and the driver got out his insurance certificate immediately and I took his details, still in a state of disbelief. I took a photo of the skid marks and they look like the smoking trail of a guided missile that had locked onto the Subaru.

There was some cosmetic damage to the side of the front bumper and he may also have hit the front wheel, so we reported it to the insurance company and now await the tedious investigation and repair process.

What kept me from really going off at the guy was that I figured as daft as it does look, accidents do happen and although it appeared that he intentionally drove into our vehicle, the only car within 100 meters, in a huge open space, I’m sure he didn’t really mean to do so. No body was hurt although they looked quite shocked as they got out of their car.

I reported it to the Park Wardens and one of them said that a few weeks ago a guy had hit him, then got out of the car with a big tyre lever and threatened him! At least the German driver fessed up.

Cheers

Dennis
ouch!! i hope it can be fixed