View Single Post
Old 17-10-2009, 04:18 PM
mithrandir (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manav View Post
Celebrated to early! Long exposure shots (30sec) give me the following two circles. I have no idea what this is and its really getting on my nerves
You don't need long exposures to find dust bunnies. Shooting a patch of blue sky works just as well.

Yours look like dust on the glass cover for the CCD. It doesn't take a very big fleck to make a noticable spot since it covers a few pixels. If it is on a lens or filter, the fleck is probably bigger and changing the aperture or focal length changes the size.

I got rid of the ones on my Sony CCD with a blower after running it through the cleaning cycle to lock the mirror up. Just make sure you don't touch anything with the nozzle, and after each squeeze pull the nozzle out of the camera before you release the pressure so it doesn't draw any dislodged dust back into the bulb. (Professional grade blowers have a non-return valve to stop that happening.)

Try to work in a clean room. Holding the camera mount down so the dust falls out and more doesn't fall in helps too.

By the way, your profile implies you aren't far from here.

Andrew