View Single Post
Old 26-08-2013, 05:05 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
My TSOAG9 arrived today... problem is my lodestar is sequestered away until father's day...
So I'm preparing, hoping for a hassle-free-first-light, if such a thing exists...

I'm trying to come to grips with focusing.

The chip in my CCD is approximately 45mm out from the plane of the OAG prism. Does this mean, that, field curvature aside, the CCD in the lodestar needs to be approx 45mm from the prism in the OAG?
Yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
And on the same line, once the guide cam is focused, moving the whole guide-cam-prism-stalk in and out shouldn't appreciably affect the focus at the guide cam CCD? Or will it??
Correct again. The further out, the chonkier and fainter the stars will look but it won't affect focus that much. Focus is the distance between the lodestar and the prism.

Also try to rotate the lodestar so the top of the chip is in the brightest part of the field. This way readout is faster when you use subframes and you get a faster guide rate. If you use an AO. The top right corner is darker than the three others when you look at the chip front on. It reads from top left to bottom right.