View Single Post
Old 03-07-2020, 06:34 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

Luke is on the money. FTTC is still a compromise system, and to be honest I have lost interest in how the NBN is going so I have lost track. It was originally proposed to have an upgrade path to FTTP if a resident wanted to pay for what amounted to a fibre haul from whatever distribution point they are connected to but I don't know if that eventuated. But, that said, MOST houses on it should be able to get around 100mbps down.

The problem with Telstra is they have had decades of promising the world with "Up to" speeds and delivering often a small fraction of the promised speeds, and being able to get away with pointing out the "Up to" when they deliver 2mbps not 24. They got well burned by it when fibre to the node turned out to be the unpredictable turkey that pretty much everyone in the industry knew it would be and "Up to" didn't cut the mustard. We on fixed wireless (And maybe satellite) are the only ones where "Up to" works.

The safest, most risk averse option for Telstra was to simply stop offering the higher speed tier, so they did.