View Single Post
Old 17-04-2018, 11:51 PM
JaseD (Jase)

Cheers for your response Wavy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavytone View Post
In the preamble make clear roll-on insect repellant is a must, together with long sleeves and trousers or jeans to prevent being bitten - but I would insist that sprays MUST NOT be used as these will destroy optical coatings on objectives and coatings.
Wow, I have learned something right there... I will make that a must.

Quote:
I'd also print and hand out copies of a "challenge" for the kids to tick off of the top-ten targets for the night, this way those that are interested can google the targets later for themselves or talk about it in class, but make sure the scopes are showing them.
Great minds think alike... I was already planning a "challenge".

Quote:
Try to avoid the situation where every scope ends up pointed at Jupiter or Omega Cen, for example.
Yes... I'm glad you reminded me! I have been on a night when that's exactly what happened, it bored me to tears.

Quote:
From personal experience schools tend to set the date with little room to move regarding the moon phase. If you are lucky the moon will be 3-4 days old in which case you have the opportunity to show it and still have a few bright galaxies in reach. More moon than that and all DSO's are basically no-go, and all you will have are bright stars, multiple stars, open clusters, globulars and planets. Alternatively if its a moonless evening then the DSOs are on.
Yeah, I have two nights I have been given. I said to them, I will suggest a third just in case, but the window is tight. The moon is actually only 3 days old on one night and about 5 on the next available.

Quote:
Set tripods and eyepieces low to suit the littlies.
I have a slight issue with that, because we are above the Trop of Cap in my loc. My scope is on a goto HEQ5 Pro and it's got to have a pier ext. I am just shy of six foot and the EP is above my head whilst standing up; the tripod is absolute zero rise; I only need a single step to get to it but still, it's tall. I will have to make sure we have the step ladders near the scopes.

Thanks again.