View Single Post
Old 11-01-2018, 10:23 AM
Jasp05 (Aaron)

The mount has the Belt kit mod on it. So I think this has removed most of the backlash? and I have been balancing slightly heavy on the side that sits against the drive motor. (Mount is turning RA clockwise so I balance to be slightly heavier on the east side).

So how do you know if your "chasing the seeing" as such. Because last night my polar alignment was slightly better again. (Used PHD2 tool initially and got to around 1' for both axis, then used a D.A.R.V drift align for 3 min on both axis to double check and it came out perfect).

However the DEC and RA would not behave for many hours. I think this may of been a result of that "chasing the seeing" as it was a very sawtooth like graph which corrections in both directions quite frequently.
Then all of a sudden RA was under 2 arc/sec peak to peak, but dec was still moving 5-8 arc/sec peak to peak.

It's just very puzzling that things can suddenly go from so bad to reasonably good in a matter of minutes. However I think it may of had something to do with the clouds last night. even though it seemed clear there may have been some very light cloud clover moving through.

Do you guys think it's worth the effort of tearing down the dec axis to see If I can make it smoother? Or is it just my setup and guiding settings? I'll post the log file from last night shortly.