Thread: Centaurus A
View Single Post
Old 28-06-2009, 08:02 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Hello pickelsrules, to IIS.
I can't help with the imaging, I'll leave that to those Gurus.

Visually, there are two tips I have:

1, learn to use 'averted vision'. Don't look directly at the object in the EP (eyepiece). The most sensitive area of your eye to light lies immediately surrounding your central vision. Our central vision is equiped for fine detail in colour, sacrifising light sensitivity. The area surrounding the central contains either more rods or cones (I can't exactly remember which) which are sensitive to 'black & white' light. In looking to the side (doesn't matter left, right, up or down, your preference) take time to allow the light to stimulate. You will be surprised at the detail that reveals itself. Omega Centuri will leap out of the EP with the scope you have.

This is a skill that you will develop with practice. With practice you will see more and more. Even when you revisit Omega Cen. over the years.

2, don't concern yourself with magnification. Most observing is done with low to medium power. You have probably already noticed how the image dims with increased power. Leave the power stuff for the planets and for speciallized DSO (deep sky object) inspections for when you want to increase contrast. I rarely use my 5mm. 80% is done with my 35 & 30mm and 19.5% with 15mm. That's me though.

Good luck and enjoy,

Mental.