View Single Post
Old 14-01-2013, 05:47 PM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by naskies View Post
Less noise in single shot images would be a huge boon for the people shooting nightscapes etc

As Craig Stark found, Canon RAWs aren't truly "raw" - it's already had pre-processing before it hits the CR2 file. It explains why In-Camera Noise Reduction works better than shooting separate light+dark exposures back-to-back...
I am not sure that Craig Starks article is conclusive. ISO response is not linear very often with DSLRs. You can get a drop in sensitivity by going to a nonstandard ISO setting (ie not a standard multiple of 1600, 3200, 6400 etc. That varies by camera maker and model I believe. For example the Nikon D800 does not drop dynamic range between ISO's but other models do.

So he may just be seeing that phenomena. Of course it may be a secret routine is being applied but it smacks of conspiracy theory - in this case against Canon. Who knows but I kind of doubt it as it could hurt their sales and little to be gained by doing that. The pixel peepers would pick it up and crucify them for it.

Greg.

Last edited by gregbradley; 15-01-2013 at 07:11 PM.