View Single Post
Old 27-06-2014, 09:21 AM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Andy,

Cheers, mate.

To be fair, I've had nothing but top notch service from Peter with regards to my previous issues. I'm only full of praise!

I somehow don't think I'm going to get a free camera, though. And, I wouldn't expect any such thing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy01 View Post
Following, with interest...

Nowadays, the true measure of a companies products is their willingness to go out of their way and stand up and help the affected users in difficult circumstances.

I had a very expensive new Grey Nichols cricket bat that got a terminal crack after just one season. I took it to the factory and was delighted when they replaced it with a new one at no charge!

I'm almost ready to purchase a new mono, so as an SBIG user, I'm very interested to see what SBIG are willing to do for you.

Cheers
Andy
Chris,

Cheers! I suppose I could always just go back to DSLR imaging. But, I wanted to achieve more than what the DSLR could give me, and, also wanted to try my hand at narrowband. To rub salt into the wounds, I bought an FW8-STL last week (the dedicated 8-position filter wheel for the STL) which I've been looking for for ages (no longer made). A couple came up on Astromart after I put up a wanted ad. I picked one up for $1K which is brand new in box and never been used. I also paid over $100 for a PreciseParts adapter. It just seems like a waste of money now.

I've been conversing via email with Dwight, the gent in the CloudyNights thread that had the same thing happen to him. He ended up selling his camera for parts for $1K. *sigh*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotspur View Post
That's awful H.

Sometimes in life,expensive kit does not work out,and we try to pep things up expecting things to turn up,when it does not,and you feel like your last sentence,it might be best for the mind to move on,as painful as it is on the pocket.Otherwise the wonka situation just eats away at one.Any chance the said kit could be sold on 'as is' to fiddlers,and funds go towards some other similar kit.Good luck.
Simon,

That's what my thoughts are, too. And, I can't get a clear answer as to why the cover glass can't just be replaced?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrB View Post
Surely it's not the sensor but only the cover glass that seals the chamber?
Can't see why it would cost 3k
Greg,

Here's hoping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
CCD sensors have a cover slip of thin glass over the front of them (it is optional to not have this cover slip with FLI cameras). Then there is the CCD chamber glass itself.

Your photo to me looks like the cover slip over the top of the CCD chip.
I suspect if the chip itself was cracked you would not get any image at all. I doubt the camera can readout a sensor which has a crack in it.

From what I have read chips are quite tough. But the cover slip is likely to be thin.

I would send it off. The worst case scenario is you get a quote you are not willing to proceed with and you pay for some shipping.

I think its a fairly safe bet.I have never heard of a cracked CCD sensor since I've been doing astrophotography.

Greg.
Stuart,

I appreciate your generosity. I'll keep that in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rat156 View Post
Bloody hell H,

Hate to see fellow APers have a bad time, as if getting married wasn't enough...

Well if things work out for me job wise over the next month or so, I'll be leaving for Europe for about three years. I'd be glad to help out and lend you my STT8300 if things work out, just don't drop it. That way you can get your camera fixed at your leisure and I'll have an updated camera when I get back...

Cheers
Stu
Peter,

The camera didn't actually drop. It took a blow. But, same thing, really. Only one of the handles was bent, but, your point stands -- it took a substantial hit.

I should add that since I bought the camera, the built-in guide chip has always given me out of focus stars. I can't remember whether I had to rack the focuser in or out to get them in to focus. But, since MaxIm DL could still guide on fat stars, I didn't worry about it too much.

What I'd like to know is, why does the entire sensor have to be replaced if it's just the glass cover seal that's broken? And, if the cover slip is removed, can it be replaced?

I would love to take you up on your offer -- that's very generous of you and the same level of service I've come to expect. I am honestly happy to pay for repairs, but, I just can't fork out $3K for a new sensor, when there's no guarantee that the same thing won't happen again at a later date.

As you've mentioned, the sensor still works. The black line in the images is purely a result of the broken cover slip casting a shadow. At least that's what I hope it is -- as Greg mentioned, I doubt a sensor would read out properly if there was any major disconnect. A sensor working with hot/cold pixels and column defects are one thing (and, to be expected), but, if it was completely snapped, I doubt it would work at all.

The camera is back on the telescope. I will try to take some images with it on the weekend as it's new Moon. If the sensor fogs up (as it has been since the crack) then I will be in touch next week.

I really appreciate your assistance to me during this crappy time. I have a horrible feeling in the bottom of my guts over this. It's my one hobby and I can't indulge in it because of something so rotten.

Thank you, all.

H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ward View Post
H....if the camera was dropped resulting in the grab handles being bent after the impact..it has taken quite a blow. The sensors need to be mounted very accurately, and if dislodged even by a small amount....well... you know the painful result.

The sensor is however working.... In which case there may be a solution in having the cover slip removed. See
http://www.jtwastronomy.com/tutorials/debayer.html

Given the sensor needs replacing anyway...might be worth a shot.... I'd be willing to do this for you gratis....but give absolutely no guarantee the sensor won't die completely during/after the procedure.