View Single Post
Old 26-06-2014, 05:32 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Has this happened to anyone else?

The following is pretty much what looks like has happened to my camera.

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthrea...4/Main/6534779

I've had my camera for four years, but, have had nothing but bad luck.

The first time I opened the cover to install the filters, the little coupler on the filter wheel sheared off. Back to Peter Ward for a fix. I bought my system as a package with Baader filters, but, at the time, there was a delay on Baader's end due to a death in the family, and, the filter arrived several months later. Despite being careful with taking the lid off (on both occasions) to install the new filter, the coupler sheared off, yet again! Again, it went back to Peter after Chris Malikoff did a temporary repair job for me.

I've been getting back into the swing of things in the last few weeks, as I've got married, and moved into a home with decent skies; I set up in the backyard, and, after one week this happens.

Attached is the image showing the crack; the CCD sensor isn't sitting straight either -- my camera took an accidental fall a little while back but the rack handle took the force of the fall and it is bent a little bit, but, the camera has worked fine since then. It was only recently while doing some V curves in FocusMax did I see the line in the bottom corner. I thought that it was a hair or a spider had made a home in my camera, but, the reality was much worse when I took the cover off.

I've got in touch with Bill at SBIG, who says that it's going to cost $3,000 to replace the CCD chip. I've asked if I can send my camera in for a closer look and consequently, a second opinion. I am hesitant to spend $3,000 on repairs to a camera which I've had for four years, produced one image with (owing to work, weather, motivation, etc.,) only for it to happen again perhaps at a later date.

Has anyone else had this happen to them? What has been your experience? Do you think it is as mentioned in the CN thread above: just a cheap repair (although, it will be costly sending the item from Australia->US->Australia), or, am I really going to be out of pocket for a new sensor?

I'm well and truly gutted.

H
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (stl_crack.JPG)
93.8 KB203 views