View Single Post
Old 02-10-2011, 12:46 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Hey Orestis,

sorry it's taken a little time to respond to this sketch of yours.

I've just come back to them, and I've noticed one thing with the redo:

a small demarkation between the coma and the tail.

There is a way to help not have the demarkation there. If you look in the "Sketching Tips" sticky, you'll see my last post there about working in layers. You can do this with this comet sketch of yours very effectively.

*Start with the coma very faintly, and just as faintly add the tail. This is to give you their relative placement and approximate extent.

* Next work the tail some more, starting from the coma. Don't worry if you reach into the area of the coma. Work from the coma out. This will allow the brush itself to give you the soft edge finish. You can go over the core of the tail as needed to increase its brightness.

* The coma you work in a similar way, out from the core. A really soft small brush is a big help here as you can really control the development of the intensity. The junction of the coma and the tail won't be an issue.

* To finish you can add the core of the comet with either a fine brush by dabbing the tip however number of times you need to achieve the effect (recommended as it is diffuse), or drawn in.

Have a number of practice goes on the one sheet. This way you can develop your touch, and see directly what worked best and what didn't.

When you're happy with the developed touch, have another go at the "redo", and see what you think.

Mental