View Single Post
Old 18-02-2020, 08:02 AM
CalvinKlein (Kelvin)

I've been in the I.T. industry 35 years and was doing "cloud" stuff long before the term became popular. I'm somewhat anti-cloud nowadays and quietly pitch my business that way. My observations from over the years are that businesses / services very often do not recover from catastrophic data loss like this, particularly where backups are corrupted or lost.

Even brick and mortar businesses that have total data & backup loss (or have to revert to very old data) have a very high failure rate within a year of getting back on their feet due to migration of customers to the competition whom often become predatory in times of disaster.

I sure hope Salvatore can resurrect the site to something resembling its former glory and maintain enough active clients to make it financially viable. From what I was reading in the Astrobin forum topic on this matter an Amazon tech support guy who subscribes to Astrobin was going to try to leverage his position to make things happen (and also his neighbour who is in the Amazon Web Services team). Salvatore admitted that he may have not read his terms and conditions properly with regards how his data / backups / versioning are retained. Fingers crossed he gets the high level back-end support he will need.