View Single Post
Old 29-07-2018, 05:23 PM
bluesilver (Peter)

Setting up GOTO system on Dobsonian

Hi, I have received my 10" SkyWatcher Dobsonian GOTO
I haven't done the star alignment or anything yet, just power it up to see if hand controller works and to test the motors for operation, nothing else.

So this is a very basic new owner / beginner question, done some research but haven't really found the answer unfortunately.

So setting up this GOTO system, this is how i understand it and please correct me if i have it wrong.
Set the telescope up so that it is facing true south, not magnetic south,
Level the base so that it is perfectly level, then level the telescope so that it is perfectly level horizontal,
( is last part needed for the Dobsonian, leveling the telescope itself so that it is laying dead flat horizontal)?
Then after setting time, gps location, setup for a two star alignment, Say Hadar for the first one and Antares for the second one.
Is this all correct so far?

The other question i was interested to find out about was,
Every time i take the telescope outside, ( only about 10 - 20 meters away) do i have to go through the same alignment procedure every time?
I was only just thinking that as even if i do put it back down in the same exact spot every time the telescope wouldn't be accurately setup as just a few mm would throw it out if i am correct?
Or am i just thinking into it too much.

Sorry for the long drag out questions that i am sure are very basic common knowledge, but any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.