View Single Post
Old 19-09-2007, 12:07 AM
rodroger (Rodney)
Rod Burgess

Help.............!

Hi,
I'm a newbie to Iceinspace, found link on the Astronomical Association oF QLD. As I need help on Newt I just purchased. I am having a bit of trouble with it as far as Collimation. It is a 150mm/1400mm Short tube Reflector and uses a corrector lens? at the bottom of the focus tube. I recently purchased a
Celestron Speciality Collimator from York Optics in Bris, but the mount of the corrector seems to obscure my view of the edge of the scoundary.
The collimation is way out and the mirror I am told by York Optics, could be piched as well by the mount brackets. At the momment there is a lot of ghosting and any bright star produces a lot of glare, I can't resolve Alpha centauri with a 25mm eyepiece, and the 6.5mm eyepice has no focus on any stars only will focus to some extent on the moon.
As I the only previous scopes I have owned have been a 60mm Refractor and a 8" Celetron Cass Smitt. I have never pulled a scope to pieces before as this is what am told to to to fix the pinched mirror. I was hopping there might be somebody close by who could help me out with this, I would even be willing to pay. York Optics don't have a work shop no more, so they are much help. Ther mirror also does not have a centre spot? This is a real delema for me as I have not been able to use this scope yet since I purchased it. - by the way it came from China! - Cheap.....But I was told by York that it turn out to be a nice scope if prperly aligned.