View Single Post
Old 19-12-2016, 04:32 PM
wasyoungonce (Brendan)
Certified Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by luka View Post
I ran my partial Cam86 with a 9V power supply. 3.3V regulator runs at about 60C while 5.5V regulator runs at about 50C. The 6V? regulator is at about 40C. I am not sure if using 6V to feed the 3.3V regulator would work as it may just overheat the 6V regulator.

Also found some 7.5V power supplies here. May not be enough power for the TEC.

Someone correct me if I am wrong but I could not find the old posts, is the minimum voltage to run Cam86 7.2V?
I am guessing the 6V, SOT89 LDO can dissipate more heat more easily than the T092, that's why I thought of the 3.3V T092 from this. Yes its just putting more thru the SOT89 but It should handle it. Just a guess. Also we would really need to do the thermal calcs to determine the 3.3V die temp. My guess is thats it's ok as these regulators thermally shutdown themselves.

Most of the SOT89 LDOs mention 1.7V to 2.0V head room voltage above Vout but DD11 (3.3V LDO) T092 mentions as little as 1.0V above that is Vout + 1.0V to attain Vregulated. I didn't know that!

Same with DD13 the +5V LDO.

So the SOT89 LDOs can generally get away with 1.7V about output and the other 1.0V. So in theory you minimum in could be 7.7V.

All you can do is try! I also read the reference to 7.2V but have no idea where I read it.

Brendan