View Single Post
Old 03-10-2011, 10:05 AM
frolinmod

The Flea3 is much better. You can go as fast as 120 FPS if you have enough light. You do need firewire to use the Flea3. The camera uses a 9-pin Firewire 800 (1394b) connector. Firewire 800 cables and a Firewire 800 card are best. To go top speed that will need to be PCIe or an ExpressCard rather than PCI or PC Card (PCMCIA). These cards are inexpensive. In addition to the card, you'll need a 12V adapter or 12V power source to plug into the card. That's because the camera is powered via the Firewire 800 cable. The Firewire 800 cable supplied by Point Grey with their development kit is very stiff. You can get longer and/or less stiff cables as well as Firewire 800 hubs from 1394store.com. Constant plugging and unplugging of the cable to the camera is not good for the camera. It's generally best to leave a "short" cable plugged into the camera all the time, plug that into a hub and then use a "long" cable from the hub to your computer. One advantage of using a hub is that you can power the hub rather than the ExpressCard.

For capture you can use either the included Flycap2 utility or Firecapture. Flycap2 doesn't have the world's greatest UI, but it's faster than Firecapture.

I've been playing around imaging Jupiter with the color Flea3 for the past few weeks. I just now received a mono version of the camera, an Orion motorized filter wheel, Astronomik type 2C LRGB filters (less expensive than the Astrodons I use for deep space imaging) and two different Astronomik IR pass filters, the 742 and the 807. I can't wait to get a chance try out the IR pass filters because supposedly Jupiter is sharper in the near IR.

Last edited by frolinmod; 03-10-2011 at 10:19 AM.