View Single Post
Old 18-04-2009, 07:37 AM
montewilson (Monte)

Hi Markus & Brett - You can heat up the tube, but if the tube is getting so cold then that heat will eventually find it's way into the camera, then the heater and the Peltier will be in a fight to the death. You will need to find a happy medium.

I would need to see some pictures of the set up to comment more.

On the subject of letting the equipment cool down this is more of an issue for reflectors and not much of an issue for cameras and lenses. I wouldn't worry about it unless you are talking about a temp difference of more 20 deg C. Even then it will cool down without heating in minutes after which you can start warming the lens. Don't forget heating is a misnomer. It should be thought of as nothing more than gentle warming. If the ambient temp is 5 deg C and your lenses are at 6 deg C you wont get dew.

Another helpful trick is to cover the lens with an old sock (you can use a new one but you'll get in trouble if you have a sock manager like I do). Cut a hole in the end so the lens has a woolly sleeping bag. This reduces heat loss to the air and will mean you need less heating power too which is a big help with batteries. Camera lenses are usually the first to dew up because they have the least thermal inertia so a warming solution is a must.