View Single Post
Old 08-05-2018, 10:53 AM
SkyWatch (Dean)

Hi Andrew,

I've looked through both in a range of telescopes, from my f8 refactor to an f4 18" reflector. Both did the job happily in that both were quite sharp to the edge, gave a nice contrasty field and were relatively easy to look through. I found it hard to separate them, although the Ethos might have had a slight edge in edge-of-field sharpness in the f4 scope. I don't remember any contrast/colour difference like you suggest as I was mainly concentrating on field sharpness at the time (and I didn't want to hog someone else's scope or eyepiece too much!), but I came away more than happy with my "cheap" ES vs the Ethos. It performs very well even in my 12" f5 scope without a coma corrector.

(In response to Wavytone's comment, I must admit though I am not a huge fan of the ultra-wide fields. The 20mm ES 100 is the only one I will ever have. If I have to turn my head to see the edge of the field I feel that for me they are simply too wide. In fact at one stage I acquired a 13mm Ethos and sold it in favour of my 13mm Nagler. The smaller eyepiece is a lot easier to balance in my 12" scope too!)

All the best,

Dean

Last edited by SkyWatch; 08-05-2018 at 02:55 PM.