View Single Post
Old 23-11-2011, 08:24 AM
Star Catcher (Ted Dobosz)

Hi

I have been down this track for my old ST7E, where in summer I was looking for that extra bit of cooling, since every 5 or 6 drop in temp resulted in halving of noise.

Since my unit did not have the water circulating feature, I purchased a fairly hefty peltier, made up an aluminium chamber i.e. cut up six aluminum panels and used silicon sealant to create a water tight cube.

Naturally before I finished the cube I drilled and screwed in some water nipples into the cube, attached the peltier to one face ensuring only corners had a touch of epoxy and the main central area had a nice coating of thermal silicon grease. I also attached some heat sinks to the cube.

I created a jack port for power entry to the peltier on the side of the cube. The nipples were then connected to PVC tubes that led to a few metres of coild copper tubing which sat in a lidded barrel type bucket. The tubing was connected to an aquarium pump.

The peltier was attached to the outer casing of the ST7 with nylon ties, which itself is a heat sink for the camera. I would dab a small amount of thermal grease on the peltier face.

The end result was typically 6 degrees C drop. I never used ice in the system and the water would slowly warm. The more water in the barrel the better. I had to leave some power headroom in the system as the colling efficiency dropped.

Hope this info helps.
Ted