View Single Post
Old 18-05-2017, 05:01 PM
codemonkey (Lee)
Lee "Wormsy" Borsboom

Hey Russ,

I've been pretty happy with my Esprit 120 - I honestly don't know how similar the optics are between the 120 and the 150 though so I'm hesitant to draw any conclusions there, having not used the 150 myself, but I would expect them to be of similar quality.

The focuser was a weak point on my 120. It was very poorly adjusted when I received it and wouldn't take close to the advertised payload without slipping quite quickly. It was also missing a bolt, and the locking lever thread was a bit busted, which meant it was never screwed in all the way, which in turn meant it fell out. Tasco sourced the bolt, a new locking lever and instructions on how to adjust the focuser, but to be honest I was a bit disappointed after spending that kind of money.

I spent quite some time adjusting the focuser and got it performing better. I sold it to someone here (sorry, can't recall who), who also spent a bunch of time tweaking it further and apparently finally got it working reasonably. I replaced it with a Moonlite, which I've always been happy with. I then motorised the Moonlite DIY-style, whilst definitely harming the aesthetics of the scope, performs pretty well.

Still, I'm very happy with the performance of the scope, without doubt the best scope I've had.

Cheers,
Lee