View Single Post
Old 25-10-2017, 03:51 PM
Jasp05 (Aaron)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymo View Post
I don't see a motor in your sketch, so I don't know if you are tracking
with a motor, or with a manual slow motion control. Either way you should
be right to do DARV, just more convenient with a motor.
raymo
Raymo with the DARV method of alignment. I've got some newbie questions.

Step 2: Point your telescope Due south and at 0 degrees dec. where is that pointing exactly . 0 declination is on the celestial equator at 90 degrees to the SCP? which for me is basically directly overhead. My latitude is 23.4 degrees. Can you reference a star that I can go find on a star chart that may help orientate me.

In step 7 they say to set the drive speed to something like guide rate. Shouldn't it be faster or slower than sidereal rate? to create the streak? If you move at sidereal your only going to get the usual small streak from bad alignment...?

EDIT: Have just remembered I can use stellarium for reference of a Star at 0 degrees Dec. which going by it is basically directly overhead if not a little bit further back. And I assume that this process will work even you aimed at a star at 10-15degrees dec or something?

Instructions are pasted below for reference.

1. Setup and align your telescope normally.
2. Set your telescope to point due south and at 0 degrees DEC.
3. Find a semi-bright star. A 6th magnitude star works perfectly, but a dimmer star can be used.
4. Insert your CCD or DSLR camera into the eyepiece holder or attach via the t-adapter.
5. Focus the star for the CCD or DSLR.
6. Once focused, move the star to the right hand side of the camera sensor.
7. Set your telescope to its lowest drive speed. Typically a guide rate mode.
8. Set your camera software to take an exposure of 125 seconds. The first 5 seconds is used to create a point of reference on the image.
9. As soon as the first five seconds have elapsed, then press the W on the telescope keypad to cause the star to move to the opposite side of the sensor.
10. For the first minute continue to move the telescope West. As soon as the first minute has elapsed, immediately reverse the telescope direction.
11. When the second minute has finished, stop moving the telescope.