View Single Post
Old 12-07-2020, 04:13 PM
OneCosmos (Chris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonius View Post
I'd be curious if anyone's tried this. And whether the optics of the human eye hold up when the pupil has been artificially widened. It may be that you get more photons, but the details are blurred.

An interesting experiment.

But in answer to the point about measuring your pupil dilation, it's easy to do yourself if you have a paper guillotine.

Just cut two narrow pieces of aluminium foil such that they taper from about 8mm to around 4mm.

One night when you are fully dark adapted close one eye, and focus on a star. Hold the 4mm end of the foil strip just in front of your eye. You should note that you can not completely block the star from view (because the foil strip is not wide enough, ie your pupil is wider).

Simply move the foil strip down until you can only just completely block the star. Then you know the width of the foil is the same as your pupil. Fold it at that point and measure later on in the light. Repeat with the other strip on the other eye.

Using this method I found that there was quite a discrepancy for me. 7mm in my left eye and 5mm in my right. So if I'm looking for something really faint I favor my left 'good' eye.

I hope that helps.

Cheers

Markus
Actually yes, that it a rather neat approach.