Thread: hard drive died
View Single Post
Old 17-02-2015, 11:59 AM
BPO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renato1 View Post
Though Acronis takes a while to make an image and I'd be worried that the drive would fail during the process.
Yes, that can happen. Very irritating, but the drive is toast anyway.

Quote:
I'd be tempted to use my Ebay drive gadgets and another computer to try copy My Documents, my downloads and Outlook PST file quickly from the dud drive in the first instance, before trying for a complete image in the manner you suggested. Then if the image didn't get made in time, I could always reinstall an old image on a new drive, and transfer the My Documents, downloads and PST file across to the new drive.
It's usually a one-shot deal when it works at all, so if you don't need all the data and know exactly where to find the stuff you need then I'd do it your way, skip imaging and just copy and paste as fast as you can.

It doesn't always work -- I know guys who have tried it with multiple failed drives and never had any success at all -- so don't go getting your hopes up, but it can and does work often enough to be worth the small amount of effort: As always, the question is "How much is the data worth to you?"