Thread: hard drive died
View Single Post
Old 16-02-2015, 03:24 PM
PCH (Paul)

Hi Graham,

I know it's a bit late now, but for stuff as important as your family and holiday pics, as well as other important stuff, you really should have a backup plan.

After reading about someone else's similar incident on here quite some time back, I decided my data was too good to just 'lose'.

So I bought an actual proper fully functional backup program called 'Shadow Protect' for about $100. It does auto backups once intitially, and then every half hour or whatever you decide while the PC is on.

I have it backing up to a QNAP (that's the brand) NAS (that's a network address server - I think!), that's like a central storage unit that you can configure in a number of ways. Mine has just two 2GB drives that are configured as mirror images. If one of the NAS drives fails, I just put another in and the system rebuilds itself.

So my data is backed up, and then mirrored. So hopefully there'll never come a time when I can't recover my data.

The cost of the NAS was about $600, so that all up cost wasn't cheap. But how much do you value your data?

Just my 2c