View Single Post
Old 04-03-2014, 11:00 PM
Stardrifter_WA
Life is looking up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan View Post
Pete, that's a pretty sweet eyepiece case setup you have. How did you sort out the shapes for all the cut outs? Did you have to take all your bits into Image Alloy Cases so they could trace them out?
Yes, I just took all the bits into Jez at Image Alloy Cases and he sorted out the best way to fit it all in. Jez, came up with the idea of two tier, instead of a larger case. I think he has a small CNC cutter. He does a great job and I will be getting three further cases made, for my WO FLT 110 (which will be an aluminium road case), my AZEQ6GT mount and my camera gear.

Image Alloy Cases has the best prices in Perth. These are not exactly cheap, although each case only costing me a little more than a Delos eyepiece (including the cost of the case and machined high density foam inserts), I think they are worth every cent. Great insurance policy for keeping everything safely together and clearly seeing what is missing when packing up, at the dark sky site.

Also, the machining has been done to close enough tolerance that I can dispense with the annoying eyepiece caps, which is why I went this route in the first place. I simply hate all the eyepiece caps!

The aluminium road cases he makes are awesome too. See pics below for my SCT. Housed underneath the Star Diagonal are the tube counterweights in a machined out hollow, so that cannot move. It also has edge reinforcing, recessed lockable butterfly locks and recessed handles.

Cheers Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (20121111_45.jpg)
45.4 KB154 views
Click for full-size image (20121111_74.jpg)
51.0 KB160 views
Click for full-size image (20121111_78.jpg)
48.7 KB139 views

Last edited by Stardrifter_WA; 04-03-2014 at 11:20 PM.