View Single Post
Old 29-10-2011, 10:44 AM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
Good pick up Rob. 2006ce should have read a bright 12.4 have corrected.

Greg that is a huge field you have and there would do justice to some fine off the beaten track southern galaxy groups that often get overlooked. Roberts Quartet being a good example. I can post some more if you like. In fact with about 1500 galaxies in my supernova list I am often really surprised how lovely some of these far Southern galaxies are but not many have been tackled by amateurs in the way you presented NGC908.

From New Scientist and so obvious in your image "The spiral arm on the left side of galaxy NGC 908 has been bent upwards by a near-collision with a passing galaxy (Image: H Boffin/VLT/ESO)" http://www.newscientist.com/articlei...eighbours.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbadgalaxyman View Post
Hi Pete,
Two supernovae in under 20 years sounds like a good rate!
It is worth keeping an eye on this galaxy for SNe....

A few "back of the envelope calculations" show that NGC 908 could be a good candidate for multiple observable supernovae in the future:

(1) If its estimated luminosity in the Hyperleda database is correct (Absolute blue magnitude of -21.4) then NGC 908 is noticeably more luminous than the Milky Way.
(2) This galaxy is likely to be very comparable to the first-ranked spiral galaxies in the Virgo Cluster of Galaxies, such as M61 and M100, for instance, the total star formation rate of NGC 908 (derived from its far-infrared luminosity) is similar to that of one of these large and luminous spirals in the Virgo Cluster.
(3) This is a physically large galaxy, bigger than the Milky Way Galaxy, and it has Very Strong spiral arm structure.
(4) Its U-B color index shows that there is plenty of ultraviolet light, coming no doubt from a large population of OB stars.

These four facts indicate that NGC 908 has a significant rate of current star formation, and therefore a high rate of core-collapse supernovae. It is a nearby and physically large Sc spiral galaxy with strong spiral structure, very much like some of the other galaxies that have had several observed SNe.

I am wondering about the faintness of the observed NGC 908 supernovae, as per your post.....were they underluminous type II events? Or was there heavy extinction within this galaxy that made them fainter than they should have been?

best regards, Robert
Thanks for the info on the galaxy. I find it interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevec35 View Post
Nice image Greg. You have a lot of detail there and the colour is good too.

Cheers

Steve
Thanks Steve. I am looking for new and unusual targets. I guess you get to that point eventually if you image enough objects.