View Single Post
Old 02-03-2011, 05:41 PM
orestis

First light with 12'' Dob 1/3/11

Hi everyone,

I have recently purchased a 12'' Dob and have had quite a few nights with cloud, until this relatively clear night with high cloud.

The telescope was not collimated and I understand that it may not give me the best views yet until collimated but nevertheless I set out to observe my most loved nebula M42(orion nebula) and as I centered on it and focused the image,the first thing that hit me was how vivid the green colour is now and on closer inspection I could see details never before seen in my little scope all the details I had to scrutinize to see throgh my little scope were already there,the view through the 32mm ep was spectacular.

I then Went to scan the canis majoris region seeing countless stars and eyed the tau canis majoris cluster which was splendid.I went to an old favourite open cluster of mine ngc 2616 which was great.

I then went on to see the eta cariane nebula which had countless stars and dark lanes and nebulous clouds(so much to see).eta cariane itself was a very vivid orange colour and popping in the 10mm with 2x barlow 300x showed the humunculus nebula like I've never seen it before the lobes themselves were orange which was absoloutley splendid.can't wait to get it collimated and eye out those real faint fuzzies.

Thanks for reading
Regards Orestis