View Single Post
Old 16-04-2019, 09:51 AM
TareqPhoto (Tareq)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
Tareq
I have an 8” f5 newt and use PHD2 with my Orion 50mm mini guide scope with helical focuser and ZWO ASI120MM-3 ( don’t use the USB2 camera there are issues, use the USB3 mono camera )
I’m guiding now around 1 arc sec error with 5 minute exposures ( depends on seeing conditions )
PHD2 is very easy to use , it’s all in the set up and reading the manual thoroughly
My settings are -
2 sec exposures
RA Aggressiveness 75
RA min mo 0.2
DEC Aggressiveness 90
RA min mo 0.2
Max RA duration 2500
Max DEC duration 2500
I created a bad pixel map and dark calibration , so I’m guiding almost immediately when I connect
Guide scope Focal length of 162mm
Guide camera Pixel size 3.75

I can strongly recommend PHD2

Good Luck
I don't have Orion 50mm mini guider, i do have either ZWO 60mm helical focuser or Skywatcher ST80 with 2" Dual speed Crayford focuser.

The camera i was always using is QHY5L-II-M, i saw many on Astrobin using it so that i bought it, but it is USB2.0 camera, so you think it is not good for guiding and i must use USB3.0 camera then i will move to ASI290MM then, this is more sensitive and it has 2.9 pixel size.

I will try to use those values or settings you posted, i hope it will work, but is it like fixed or constant for any setup once i mentioned with guide scope and camera? Or i have to change the setting of those above every time i use different guide scope or camera?

I use PHD2 since 2017 when i started because i know it is the one, but i know PHD2 isn't the issue, so i hope i can get the setting correct and use another camera, maybe that will fix everything for me, with wrong setup and wrong setting i will always have issues, and i think no one told me to better use USB3.0 camera as it sounds it is not an issue, and i don't know why creating a bad pixel map and dark calibration, if it will help then fine i will do it too, but i think i don't know how to do it.