View Single Post
Old 26-04-2012, 08:53 PM
clive milne

Quote:
Originally Posted by alistairsam View Post
Clive,
How about two 8" reflectors, one with a 1/4 PV wavefront spec, and other a 1/10 PV wavefront spec with the same secondary?
if mirror quality doesn't lend discernible differences for DSO's, does ccd quality be it build or sensor quality make more of a difference?
eg,similar spec'd qhy, sbig, FLI or other high end cameras? or is it sensor size similar to aperture with telescopes? bigger sensor, more detail?
I'm referring to a raw capture without any processing?
Hi Alistair,
To my understanding, the only real difference between the two OTA's you describe above is that the higher spec example will (in theory) be very, very slightly more tolerant of seeing conditions. I doubt however that you will ever be able to notice.... I would guess that it would be buried in the noise.

As far as variation between different cameras.. I have no feel for that, but intuitively, being that the manufacturer I quoted above is at the cutting edge of developing CCD's for professional astronomical research applications, I would be prepared to go out on a limb and suggest that their performance is close to 'best in class'.

~c