View Single Post
Old 18-05-2019, 08:24 AM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Spook Hill - Mt.Cotton, Brisbane

A true story about Spook Hill worth telling...

When I was 19 my mates and I had heard about this place at Mt. Cotton, south of Brisbane. Today Tonight did a story about Mt. View Rd, which apparently was a gravity anomaly because it was a hill that you could roll ... Up!

So we checked it out, a gravel road in the middle of nowhere but I'll be darned as the gentle slope was there alright, but when we let off the handbrake the car rolled UP the hill. Soon followed by tennis balls, drink cans and any other round object we could lay hands on to test it.

At the end if the road was a big iron cattle gate, and a paved road leading up to the top of what was locally known as Spook Hill. Urban legend had reports of witches covens, midnight masses and such, so we four decided to return at night, and as next weekend was Friday 13th we decided to go at midnight to check it out.

... Aaaah the impetuousness of youth!

So we arrive, it's bloody dark except for what looked like a small fire or glow in the distance at the top if the hill. We do a few more uphill roll-ups with the handbrake off again and then summon up the courage to get out of the car and walk up the hill.

It's a warm evening but as we got within a metre if the big gate the temperature dropped about 30 degrees like we had stepped into a freezer.
Unnerved, we continued, climbed the gate and bravely set forth up the road together. (One of us stayed behind to watch the car).

We only went about 200 metres when I looked up the hill and saw the red glow slowly rise up and start drifting towards us. As I watched, now transfixed and frozen in place, it appeared to concentrate and become smaller and more dense. Then it separated into two halves and rapidly descended towards us, getting smaller and smaller and materializing into focus, until there were two burning red eyes about 5 metres away from us and that's when panic set in!

I/we bolted down the road, vaulted the gate in a single bound and ran for the car, yelling to our mate to just DRIVE, DRIVE, DRIVE!!!!

... I'm sure the unofficial land speed record was broken then, bet we eventually reached home safely and swapped stories about exactly what the HECK had we just seen/experienced. Our stories matched up, and whatever it was we saw was very clearly telling us to GO AWAY and it was only years later that I was brave enough to return, in daylight.

Now it's a surburban street, homes everywhere and perfectly ordinary. The road was graded level and sealed, and another mystery remains unsolved.

... And I can assure you- it happened!

Cheers
Andy