View Single Post
Old 23-09-2019, 08:13 PM
AnakChan (Sean)

Cheers. The comments posted here so far does seem to lean towards little gain in going from my cooled Astro A7S to a dedicated OSC, and mono is the way to go. Yes the IMX455 mono based iterations irrespective of QHY or ZWO will be huge investment. I don't have the luxury of going small first (183/8300/1600) just to try, then move up to something larger later - so I'm going all in large and deal with the steeper learning curve upfront.

My understanding about effort required with mono is that it's not necessarily more time consuming since it's more sensitive, however more "interaction" since it's changing the LRGB (and/or NB filters) more frequently throughout the imaging session.

Now the concern is going to be more brand specific issues - e.g. ZWO's CMOS microlensing, QHY driver issues, etc.

P.S. Separate note, I've read that dedicated astro cameras have more "worries" or more "maintenance", such as dew or frosting during imaging, and regular desiccant drying, or argon re-gassing. These are things I did not have to worry about with my cooled Astro A7S nor D810A.