View Single Post
Old 22-09-2011, 01:36 PM
pgc hunter

Made the best of the poor transparency there Paddy NGC 7090 is a nice object indeed.

Interesting dicussion re extremely faint objects and their visibility. It's something I definately consider when observing. I won't confirm a sighting until I've atleast seen the object materialise a number of times (maybe 5-10), and I'll use field stars and/or other brighter objects to make sure it appears in the same location every time. If that's the case, then yes it's a hit.

I use a black shroud over my head, it really helps with observing at the limit of vision and kills any stray reflection on the eyepiece etc that may be mistaken for that faint dust mote and ofcourse it allows you to observe without cupping your face with your hands or having to perform other distracting gymnastics to fend off stray light. Also keeping both eyes open (and covering the unused one with your hand) saves you from unnecessary strain.

As has been suggested taking regular snack breaks is a must and helps you relax and recharge ready for the next extremely faint galaxy.