View Single Post
Old 17-11-2020, 03:34 PM
AdamJL

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahnpahwa View Post
This may sound like a ridiculous idea, but I'd buy a second hand APS-C canon, and astromod it yourself. Just rip out the filter totally. This will cost you under $200 in total. I think my 550d cost me $130. Then whatever you'd like to do with fitlers... clip in or 2" if your focuser/t-ring/flattener has threads for one? Or a 2" filter drawer added to the mix?
I'm not sure what IR/UV cut you need or want in that scenario. But with money saved you might be able to get one of the new duo-/tri-/quad-band filters which would be pretty awesome.

It will mean that your image FOV will be smaller, and the flattener should have less problem covering the field.

Then get guiding going

Rationale here is that I think you can take a modded dslr quite a long way, but its hard to get far without longer exposures away from the pole. And you get to tinker.
Ha, I've got a couple of spare DSLRs lying about that I could mod, but I'd rather not. Mainly because:

Quote:
And you get to tinker.
I no longer have the time to tinker as I get older with life and other hobbies getting in the way! I prefer a "ready-to-go" solution, or as close to it as possible.

Also:

Quote:
its hard to get far without longer exposures away from the pole
Thank you for confirming my suspicions! I should have researched this, but was wondering why I was getting such shorter exposures without trailing when shooting east. Does this mean if I shoot Andromeda, it'll be worse? Or with it being closer to the north pole, I should get a better chance?