View Single Post
Old 15-11-2020, 06:51 PM
AdamJL

Thanks David. Currently looking at the Orion flattener, as I believe it doesn't reduce the aperture ratio either, unlike the Sky-Watcher variant which knocks it back 0.85x. I'd prefer to keep the focal length as is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeteth View Post
From there, the question really becomes what exactly are you trying to achieve? If you want longer exposures then maybe guiding would help, but where are you shooting from? If it's from a light polluted area then longer exposures won't really help you - I'd suggest going narrowband instead.

A dedicated astro camera with cooling really, really helps in reducing noise so that might be the way to go (either color or mono). But yeah, first thing before any other purchase I'd get a field flattener.
I do shoot a lot from a Bortle 7 site, and if I go down the path of a filter, then that would likely force me to get something to guide with, right? My understanding is my exposures will drop significantly, if I get something like the Optolong L-Enhance.
That said, I also like to drive out to a Bortle 3 site about 1.5 hours from Sydney, so the filter isn't necessary there. At moment it's about a 60/40 split to shooting in Sydney.

The reason I thought of a camera was because I like shooting emission nebulae (who doesn't) and I am missing a lot of that from the shots I've taken. I know my cameras can be modified, but I'd rather not do that and just get the right tool for the right job. Generally I'm not a fan of using one tool for many tasks.